Writing Exercise - the septolet

Saturday 6 June 2015

As some of you may be aware, I’m currently compiling an anthology of poetry, Coming Together: In Verse.  The call for submissions is listed here: http://ashleylisterauthor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/call-for-submissions-coming-together-in.html

For those of you wanting to submit, but lacking inspiration or ideas, below you’ll find one of the poetry writing exercises I’ve previously shared on the blog for the Erotic Readers and Writers Association (http://erotica-readers.blogspot.co.uk). I'm going to try and share them here on a weekly basis until we reach the deadline date.

 I’ll keep this short. Rhyme is denigrated by snobs. Syllable based poetry becomes complicated by the inconvenience of diphthongs and triphthongs (as well as the vagaries of pronunciation). And so, I’ve gone for something short and sweet with my contribution to this week’s excursion into poetic forms. I’ve elected to tackle the septolet.

Long Days
Days that stretch
for
endless, infinite hours

until we are
together
alone and naked.


The septolet has fourteen words. It is broken between two stanzas that make up the fourteen words. Each stanza can have seven words but that is not an essential requirement. The division can take place where the poet decides.

Unclothed
Wearing only
a smile
you have enchanted me

and I offer
you my heart.



Both stanzas of the septolet deal with the same thought. Ultimately they create a picture. 

If you do want to submit to the current anthology, information can be found on: http://ashleylisterauthor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/call-for-submissions-coming-together-in.html

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP