Writing Exercise - the triolet

Saturday 13 June 2015

As some of you may be aware, I’m currently compiling an anthology of poetry, Coming Together: In Verse.  The call for submissions is listed here: http://ashleylisterauthor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/call-for-submissions-coming-together-in.html

For those of you wanting to submit, but lacking inspiration or ideas, below you’ll find one of the poetry writing exercises I’ve previously shared on the blog for the Erotic Readers and Writers Association (http://erotica-readers.blogspot.co.uk). I'm going to try and share them here on a weekly basis until we reach the deadline date.


My fingers slip between your thighs
You part your legs and beg for more
Desire burning in your eyes
My fingers slip between your thighs
And as I listen to your sighs
And feel you dripping from your core
My fingers slip between your thighs
You part your legs and beg for more

The triolet is a one stanza, eight line poem with a distinctive rhyme scheme of ABaAabAB. Usually it’s written in iambic tetrameter (in other words, it typically includes eight syllables per line). Note here that the capital A and B refer to refrains: lines that are repeated later in the poem.

My fingers slip between your thighs
You part your legs and beg for more
Desire burning in your eyes
My fingers slip between your thighs
And as I listen to your sighs
And feel you dripping from your core
My fingers slip between your thighs
You part your legs and beg for more

A
B
a
A
a
b
A
B

In the above example we can see that the refrain lines are:

My fingers slip between your thighs
and
You part your legs and beg for more

That the poem keeps returning to these lines gives them a sense of gravitas and importance. This helps to give the triolet a hypnotic feel that adds to the appeal of this often overlooked form. Note also that the musicality of the form can help writers to include par rhymes, as with the example below:

You kiss the riding crop’s flat tip
And promise not to err again
You licked the leather on the whip
You kiss the riding crop’s flat tip
You swear you didn’t mean to slip
And beg me for your punishment
You kiss the riding crop’s flat tip
And promise not to err again



If you do want to submit to the current anthology, information can be found on: http://ashleylisterauthor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/call-for-submissions-coming-together-in.html

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP